Monday, June 15, 2009

Bremer Speck is now swinging on a mooring in Marion awaiting race day!


We left Maine on Saturday afternoon towards our destination in Marion on Cape Cod. We sailed for about 4 hours. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing from the wrong direction and our heading was more towards Africa than Cape Cod. After a few hours of tacking back and forth, we decided to switch on the engine and kept motoring towards our destination. Strangely enough, every time I try to reach Cape Cod, I have the wind on the nose and in order to get there, I end-up motoring most of the way. We arrived in Sippican Harbor about 10:00 hours on Sunday morning. A little mishap during the night meant, that I had to go up the mast. I spent an hour up there, wrestling the main sail out of the mast cavity, where it had gotten stuck, after I managed to furl the main, with the swing-batten in the horizontal position. Somehow, that straight piece of a batten did not like being wound-up into the mast.
Well, another lesson learned the hard way. $$$. I am now in Marion trying to tie-up a few loose ends. Stay tuned for more.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your journey. I wish I was sitting on the back deck with you.

    ReplyDelete