Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday Morning Sail Near Boston


I awoke at 0500 hours to blue skies and a light breeze and am sailing along the coast at about 2.1 knots. A nice and peaceful morning. It is now 0800 and I am watching one of these huge LNG tanker crossing our bow a mile or so ahead of us.
It will remain peacefully quiet because... our motor is more or less kaputt and sailing is all we can do! We had already noticed some excessive oil useage and that is why I had bought 5 gallons worth in Block Island. We have used about 4 of those 5 gallons since we have left BI 20 hours ago... !!! Scary, to say the least.
Early this morning, the engine pressure dropped again rapidly and I shut-down the engine. When I removed the oil filler cap, I noticed some brown, foamy sludge attached to the underside of the cap. Werner believes that the motor may have water in it. Not good, not good at all. This is probably also a result of the bashing we took during the storm. Unbeknown to me, because I was asleep at the time, Gabi told me of 2 near knock-downs, where the port or starboard rails where briefly below the waterline. I think it was breaking waves hitting the side of the boat because a knock-down would have been noticed by everyone, no doubt.
Rather than wasting another gallon of motor oil, which would probably not provide enough pressure for more than 1 hour, if that, I decided to take advantage of my 25 years of membership in BoatUS. I have called them 1 hour ago and they have arranged for a towboat out of Newburyport, which will tow us into port.
I will have to check what services are available. I know Windward Yacht Yard and believe they do engine repairs. It will be interesting to find out, if anybody answers the phone on this bright and sunny Saturday morning.
Well, I am afraid, that I will support the economy in a big way and very soon!
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment